In 1870, the Ladies Union Benevolent Society (LUBS) was formed to provide a secure homelike setting for older women. By the year 1876, through the generosity of Jane McGraw, “The Home” was built. From these roots and the commitment of LUBS came McGraw House, built in 1971 for both men and women.
The mission of McGraw House is to provide a secure senior living environment which:
* supports and encourages independence
* provides privacy
* allows individuality
* welcomes diversity
* fosters a sense of community
* enhances the quality of life
The “secret” is out about how great a city Ithaca is to live and retire in. The March 2005 issue of Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine listed Ithaca as one of the best places in the US to retire, based on three criteria:
- Vacation cities with outdoor and recreational activities.
- Urban settings with easy transportation and high quality services
- College towns with cultural and educational opportunities.